So as the non-waiver trade deadline approaches just two weeks away and the Giants are 180 games out of first place (which is amazing considering the season is just 162 games long), I thought it might be time to break out of my blogging slump to ask a lingering a question.
The Giants are clearly out of the postseason running (even Vegas oddsmakers have removed them from their books for winning the World Series), which puts the team in a very unfamiliar situation of being sellers at the trade deadline.
Johnny Cueto, Eduardo Nunez, Hunter Strickland and Jeff Samardzija have all be rumored to be on teams’ radar list as potential trade commodities.
So the big question this July is what will the Giants do at the deadline? And fans have been wondering when was the last time they made a deadline deal in which the Giants could be considered sellers.
In short, it hasn’t happened that often, which makes this question hard to answer.
First, you have to understand the history of the non-waiver baseball trade deadline.
This is largely a product of the labor agreement that ended the 1994-1995 work stoppage.
That is evidenced by the fact that after the 1987 trade that brought Dave Dravecky, Craig Lefferts and Kevin Mitchell to the Giants, the team did not make a July trade of any kind until 1995.
Since 1995, the Giants have only made three July trades that can be catorgized as seller trades.
And that’s largely because since 1995, the Giants have been mostly competitive, posting winning records in 15 of 22 seasons since then.
But even in those seven losing seasons since 1995, the Giants have only chosen to make seller deals three times.
The first was in 1995, when the Giants sent pitchers Mark Portgual and Dave Burba and outfielder Darren Lewis to the Reds for five players, largely minor-league prospects — none the amounted to much.
The Giants stayed away from being sellers for another 12 years, when in 2007, they sent pitcher Matt Morris to the Pirates for outfielder Rajai Davis and pitcher Steve MacFarland. MacFarland didn’t amount to much, but Davis has had a solid career. Unfortunately, not for the Giants, as they put him on waivers the following spring.
The last seller trade by the Giants came in 2008, when they dealt second baseman Ray Durham to the Brewers for pitcher Steven Hammond and outfielder Darren Ford. Again, neither prospect amounted to much, although Ford made some late contributions in the Giants’ first World Series season in 2010.
So that’s basically it. And that is what makes this July so interesting for Giants fans, because it’s a boat the team has not been in often in the past.
Here is a rundown of July trades of the place two-plus decades.
- Acquired IF Eduardo Nunez from Twins for P Adalberto Mejia
- Acquired P Matt Moore from Rays for IF Matt Duffy, IF Lucius Fox, P Michael Santos
- Acquired P Will Smith for Brewers for P Phil Bickford and C Andrew Susac
- Acquired P Mike Leake from Reds for P Keury and IF Adam Duvall
- Acquired P Jake Peavy from Red Sox for P Edwin Escobar and P Heath Hembree
- Acquired IF Marco Scutaro from Rockies for IF Charlie Culberson
- Acquired OF Hunter Pence from Phillies for C Tommy Joseph, P Seth Rosin and OF Nate Schierholtz
- Acquired IF Jeff Keppinger from Astros for P Jason Stoffel and P Henry Sosa
- Acquired OF Carlos Beltran from Mets for P Zach Wheeler
- Acquired IF Orland Cabrera from Indains for OF Thomas Neal
- Acquired P Chris Ray and P Michael Main from Rangers for C Bengie Molina
- Acquired P Javier Lopez from Pirates for OF John Bowker and P Joe Martinez
- Acquired P Ramon Ramirez from Red Sox for P Daniel Turpen
- Acquired IF Ryan Garko from Indians for P Scott Barnes
- Acquired IF Freddy Sanchez from Pirates for P Tim Alderson
- Acquired P Steven Hammond and OF Darren Ford from Brewers for IF Ryan Durham
- Acquired OF Rajai Davis and P Steve MacFarland from Pirates for P Matt Morris
- Acquired P Vinnie Chulk and IF Shea Hillenbrand from Blue Jays for P Jeremy Accardo
- Acquired P Mike Stanton from Nationals for P Shairon Martis
- Acquired OF Randy Winn from Mariners for P Jesse Foppert and C Yorvit Torrealba
- Acquired OF Ricky Ledee and P Alfredo Simon from Phillies for P Felix Rodriguez
- Acquired P Matt Herges from Padres for P Clay Hensley
- Acquired P Sidney Ponson from Orioles for P Ryan Hannaman, P Kurt Ainsworth, P Damian Moss
- Acquired OF Kenny Lofton from White Sox for P Ryan Meaux and P Felix Diaz
- Acquired P Brian Boehringer from Yankees for P Joe Smith and C Bobby Estalella
- Acquired IF Andres Galarraga from Rangers for P Todd Ozias, OF Chris Magruder and P Erasmo Ramirez
- Acquired P Wayne Gomes from Phillies for OF Felipe Crespo
- Acquired P Jason Schmidt and OF John Vander Wal from Pirates for OF Armando Rios and P Ryan Vogelsong
- Acquired P Jason Christiansen from Cardinals for P Kevin Joseph
- Acquired P Doug Henry from Astros for P Scott Linebrink
- Acquired P Livan Hernandez from Marlins for P Nate Bump and P Jason Grilli
- Acquired OF Joe Carter from Orioles for P Darin Blood
- Acquired IF Shawon Dunston, P Jose Mesa and P Alvin Morman from Indians for OF Jacob Cruz and P Steve Reed
- Acquired OF Ellis Burks from Rockies for OF Darryl Hamilton, P Jim Stoops and P Jason Brester
- Acquired C Brian Johnson from Tigers for C Marcus Jensen
- Acquired P Pat Rapp from Marlins fro P Brandon Leese and P Bobby Rector
- Acquired P Cory Bailey from Rangers for P Chad Hartvigson
- Acquired P Wilson Alvarez, P Danny Darwin and P Roberto Hernandez from White Sox for OF Brian Manning, P Lorenzo Barcelo, IF Mike Caruso, P Keith Foulke, P Bob Howry and P Ken Vining
- Acquired P Jim Poole from Indians for OF Mark Carreon
- Acquired C Rick Wilkins from Astros for C Kirt Manwaring
- Acquired P Kirk Reuter and P Tim Scott from Expos for P Mark Leiter
- Acquired OF Dave McCarty, P Ricky Pickett, P John Roper, OF Deion Sanders and P Scott Service from Reds for P Dave Burba, OF Darren Lewis and P Mark Portugal
- Acquired P Luis Aquino from Expos for P Lou Pote