We like doing this during the course of the offseason: putting together a 25-man opening day roster based on players currently on the Giants’ 40-man roster.
With the Giants agreeing to a deal with Jeremy Affeldt on Monday, it gives the Giants 31 players on its current 40-man roster. That roster does not include players who are currently free agents.
With Affledt’s deal, the Giants’ projected 2013 payroll based on this 25-man roster currently sits at $128.9 million.
Still at top of Giants’ offseason wishlist is to re-sign Marco Scutaro and Angel Pagan.
If the Giants do re-sign Scutaro and Pagan, I don’t see the Giants being a big player in other big-name free agents. They will look for someone on a short deal, maybe one year, maybe a right-handed outfielder or utility player, someone who could split time with Blanco. Possibilities include Jason Bay, Scott Hairston, Juan Rivera … dare way say Melky Cabrera … to name some. Also, non-tendered players could be candidates for this spot.
So here is what the Giants’ lineup and roster looks like now.
- CF Gregor Blanco ($1.4 – arbitration)
- 2B Joaquin Arias ($800K – arbitration)
- 3B Pablo Sandoval ($5.7m)
- C Buster Posey ($5.9m – arbitration)
- RF Hunter Pence ($13.8m – arbitration)
- 1B Brandon Belt ($500K)
- LF Francisco Peguero ($500K)
- SS Brandon Crawford ($500K)
- C Hector Sanchez ($500K)
- 1B/OF Brett Pill ($500K)
- 3B Conor Gillaspie ($500K)
- OF Roger Kieschnick ($500K)
- SS Ehire Adrianza ($500K)
- RP Matt Cain ($20m)
- LP Madison Bumgarner ($750K)
- RP Tim Lincecum ($22m)
- LP Barry Zito ($20m)
- RP Ryan Vogelsong ($5m)
- RP Santiago Casilla ($5m – arbitration)
- RP George Kontos ($500)
- LP Javier Lopez ($4.25m)
- RP Sergio Romo ($3.7m – arbitration)
- RP Brian Wilson ($8.5m – arbitration)
- LP Jose Mijares ($1.6m – arbitration)
- LP Jeremy Affeldt ($6m)