After Sunday’s Game 6 win over the Cardinals, I went searching for some kind of karma, some signal that would tell us the Giants would prevail in Game 7.
I tried looking for Game 7 history. But the Giants haven’t played a Game 7 at home since 1962, and only played two other Game 7s since then … and lost both.
I tried looking for clinching games at home. But the Giants’ last four playoff series clinching wins have come on the road. They’ve only played three potential series clinching games at home since 1962, all Game 5s: 1989 vs. Cubs (won), 2002 vs. Cardinals (won), 2010 vs. Phillies (lost).
But then, it hit me … Monday.
Mondays have been very good to the San Francisco Giants in the postseason.
The San Francisco Giants have NEVER lost a postseason game played on a Monday — a streak of seven consecutive wins. Five of those wins clinched the series for the Giants.
On Monday, in the postseason, the Giants have (games with asterick were series clinching games) …
- Monday, Oct. 15, 2012, Giants beat Cardinals 7-1 in Game 2 of the NLCS
- Monday, Nov. 1, 2010, Giants beat Rangers 3-1 in Game 5 of the World Series*
- Monday, Oct. 11, 2010, Giants beat Braves 3-2 in Game 4 of NLDS*
- Monday, Oct. 14, 2002, Giants beat Cardinals 2-1 in Game 5 of NLCS*
- Monday, Oct. 7, 2002, Giants beat Braves 3-1 in Game 5 of NLDS*
- Monday, Oct. 9, 1989, Giants beat Cubs 3-2 in Game 5 of NLCS*
- Monday, Oct. 8, 1962, Giants beat Yankees 7-3 in Game 4 of World Series
The last time the Giants lost a postseason game on a Monday was Game 4 of the 1951 World Series, when they were the New York Giants.
Now some might point to the 1998 one-game playoff for the wild card spot against the Cubs, which the Giants lost 5-3. But that wasn’t a postseason game. Officially, it was regular-season game No. 163.
The Mamas and the Papas once sang “whenever Monday comes, you can find me cryin’ all of the time.”
And “Rainy Days and Mondays” always brought The Carpenters down.
But the San Francisco Giants LOVE Mondays.
Wait a minute. Mondays always bring The Carpenters down? The Cardinals have two Carpenters on their roster.