In a curious move this week, the Giants promoted 3B Chris Dominguez from Double-A Richmond to Triple-A Fresno on Wednesday.
Dominguez was hitting .223 with 2 HRs and 19 RBI in 49 games for the Flying Squirrels. He also had 50 strikeouts and only seven walks.
Dominguez was drafted in the third round of the 2009 Draft out of Louisville and was rated at the No. 9 prospect in the Giants’ system by MLB.com.
He has a strong arm at third base, and hit 18 HR with 85 RBI and batted .266 in 141 games between Class A San Jose and AA Richmond in 2011.
Dominguez made his first start in the outfield on Thursday. He struck out in his first three at-bats before delivering an RBI single in the ninth to lift Fresno to a 2-1 win over Sacramento.
Other minor-league player news
- SP Yusmeiro Petit, Fresno: Petit was the Pacific Coast League player of the week for May 21-27 after gave up one run on seven hits in 13 IP and 19 strikeouts in two starts. He followed that up by giving up one run (unearned) on three hits in 7 innings and 8 strikeouts vs. Sacramento on Thursday. He’s 1-2 with 3.58 ERA for the season.
- OF Roger Kieschnick, Fresno: Kieschnick was hitting .302 with 4 HR and 12 RBI over this past 10 games before hurting himself crashing into the fence trying to run down a home run ball Tuesday in Sacramento, landing on the disabled list.
- 3B Conor Gillaspie, Fresno: Gillaspie was activated from the disabled list, going 2 for 6 in two games since coming off the DL. He’s hitting .287 since being sent back to Fresno from the Giants.
- RHP George Kontos, Fresno: The pitcher acquired in trade with the Yankees for Chris Stewart is 2-0 with a 1.82 ERA in 21 appearances for Fresno. He has 23 strikeouts and five walks in 29.2 IP.
- C Tommy Joseph, Richmond: Joseph is heating up after a slow start. He’s up to .279 on the season with 3 HR and 13 RBI. He’s hitting .343 over the past 10 games with a .400 OBP.
- RHP Chris Heston, Richmond: Heston continues to be lights-out in Double-A. He’s 5-2 with an 0.70 ERA in 10 stars, with 59 Ks and 15 BBs in 64.2 IP. He struck out 11 over six innings on Sunday vs. Trenton.
- RHP Brett Bochy, Richmond: After getting tagged for four run on May 10, Bochy has returned to his scoreless ways, giving up 0 runs in 6.2 innings since then. He has a 1.42 ERA, but has been unscored upon in 17 of his 18 outings this season.
- 3B Adam Duvall, San Jose: Duvall had 4 HR, 9 RBI and .364 over the past 10 games, bringing him to 11 HR, 32 RBI and .280 for the season.
- OF Jarrett Parker, San Jose: Hey, we’ve got good news to report on the free-swinging Parker. He’s hitting .344 with .432 OBP over the past 10 games. He has not fanned in his past two games, and that’s saying something. He’s up to .219 for the season with 5 HR, 15 RBI.
- LHP Jack Snodgrass, San Jose: Snodgrass bounced back from getting dinged for 5 runs on 3.2 IP against Stockton to limit Visalia to one run on three hits in 6 IP. He’s 5-1 with 2.34 ERA on the season and will look to end San Jose’s five-game skid on Friday.